“Nadia Suleiman,” the Afrin survivor returning to life after a journey of death in the prisons of the Turkish occupation, tells her full story
Nadia Suleiman, the Kurdish woman, the survivor from among the jaws of death, as she tasted colors of torment, lived a horrific story, tried to commit suicide for the sake of salvation, and witnessed the killing of Kurdish citizens. She is one of the women who was discovered after storming the Hamzat militia prison after chaos. Women were subjected to torture, beatings, harassment, rape, filming naked in the presence of Turkish intelligence, and being indoctrinated to give false testimony under threat to falsify facts and mislead public opinion.
The Violations Documentation Center in Northern Syria published a testimony documented with audio files, spoken by the citizen Nadia Suleiman, from the people of Afrin (24 years old), who was released after enforced disappearance and long illegal detention, and she testified to the public opinion about cases of torture and rape in the prisons of the “Hamza Division” – Al-Hamzat, ”and Turkish intelligence.
Luring and kidnapping
Nadia said: I was with my friend when I received (WhatsApp) a voice message from my husband’s number, Ahmed Rashid Aref Rashid, on 2/8/2018, it was in the voice of my husband asking me to prepare myself, to visit him in a prison in the city of Azaz, and that the gunmen allowed him to visit from his family. He asks me to visit him, which is the first time we have contacted him.
Ahmed Rashid Aref Rashid (26 years old), from the village of Bebaka in the Bulbul / Bulbul sub-district in Afrin, who was detained by the “National Army” militia after storming his house, on May 25, 2018.
Nadia continues: “Indeed, a car of the militants arrived after about an hour, driven by people I do not know, and one of my husband’s friends was also in it, and he told me that he had received the same message, and it became clear to me later that they sent a message to him from the same phone as my husband, everything changed after that.”
And it turns out that the audio message was to lure her with her husband’s friend to kidnap them, as she was arrested, and she never met her husband.
Nadia continues recounting her story, saying: “We entered a military zone, separated my husband’s friend and took him to another place. They took me to a room and interrogated me. My phone and my handbag were confiscated and searched. I was taken to another room with several people, one of whom spoke the Turkish language. From knowing the name of one of the interrogators, which is (Abu al-Laith al-Haskawi), they accused me of being a servant to America, the Syrian Democratic Forces, the Regime, and Russia, every time the accusation was different, I denied everything. I am a civilian looking for her kidnapped husband. I was thrown into a small dark room, around midnight the door was opened My eyes were tied and my hands were tied and I ran to another room I sat on the floor, they asked me to unlock the phone, and there were people speaking Turkish, and someone would translate my words, and I did not speak anything. They accused me of everything. They brought me back alone, and I was taken to another place and another, and they started beating me, punching me He kicked me and deprived me of urination, food and water. ”
Nadia stated that she was beaten in the detention center, and she was interrogated for 25 days continuously, accompanied by torture, multiple false accusations were filmed and obliged to admit that she was linked to the PKK, and that she was a leader who was planning to carry out operations targeting Turkey and the Turkish army, and four months passed. In this case, they are detained in a prison whose whereabouts are unknown, to be transferred after that to the prison (the Hamza Division), according to Nadia, the Center for Human Rights.
Kinds of torture and killing
After she was interrogated 25 times, she was thrown into a single small room, and later she was transferred to a larger prison with about 40 male and female detainees, and they put her in a room in which there were 11 women and two children (a 7-month-old child, and a one-and-a-half-year-old child), whose names are as follows: Longines Abdo, Her sister, Rogin Abdo, Nazli Naasan, Roshin Amouni, Rukan Manla Muhammad, Farida Hussain, Esther Ban Abdo, Valentina Abdo, Newroz Bakr and another name she did not remember, Nadia Suleiman. In addition to the two children (Eid and Organ), the Kurdish survivor says.
“We were unable to refuse anything,” Nadia says. “They robbed us of our will and everything. They hit me with a water hose, and cut iron with sharp ends like a sword. They used to put lemon salt under the nails, and they always insulted us, mocking us as slaves, and they have the decision to do what they want us.
Nadia tried to commit suicide with the desire for salvation, but failed, so she was transferred to a solitary cell, and they hit her with a sharp object on the head, so she lost consciousness, and her blood drip from the nose and mouth, and left her in the blood, and she remained in the solitary for a long time until she lost a sense of time, and says: “I was pulled from the solitary from My hair, my lizard repeatedly, deprived me of clothes, water and food, even going to the toilet, the connections to the world were lost, no one knows where we are and how we do not know what is going on outside.
For months she lived on a loaf of bread and some cheese served to her every 3 or 4 days once; What led to her illness and her nervous breakdown, and she also talked about being denied going to (the toilet) and depriving her in prison, and that they used to collect waste in bags until they opened the door for them every 3 or 4 days once, and they were given only half a minute to empty the bags, She was tortured in several ways, including “blanco / blanca” (tied to the ceiling to hang down), implanting needles in the fingers and nails, dipping them in apple cider vinegar and salt, pulling out nails and other methods, and Nadia stated that her clothes were removed repeatedly, during the interrogation, and afterwards, and when the charges against her were rejected, She was taken to the torture room and hung to the ceiling with her hands tied from the back, and they beat her and other women with a hose, cable, and iron, and they exposed her lean body to electric shocks, and she explained that after she was subjected to several types of physical torture, she was fainting, but they used to bring her down to the water and connect it to the current. Electrocardiogram to wake up.
Nadia added: “The torture was daily, individually or collectively, and we were repeatedly raped. They gave us narcotic pills, and sometimes they sprayed cold water on us all in the harsh winter, even young children were not exempt from torture and the infant was deprived of milk.”
Nadia also witnessed the story of a man who was tortured until he died, saying: Hassan was the father of 3 girls who had been severely tortured, he had lost his voice from torture. Small, in the door, he was wrapped in a blanket and taken outside, as did Bilal Abdo.
And Nadia added that each of the women detained with her was subjected to multiple types of torture, and women were subjected to harassment, rape and insults, and she said that the sounds of torture were still stuck in her mind and could not be forgotten, especially from the other rooms within the prison where there were young men, men and children, and their voices were harsh and unimaginable. Described.
Nadia says that she was raped several times inside the secret prison in which she was kidnapped in the Mahmudiyah neighborhood in Afrin city, and in a bold and strong testimony she has already confirmed that she was exposed and other women were raped by the Turkish-backed militia gunmen, and she said that she and others were tortured in various ways in front and with the participation of soldiers and elements From Turkish intelligence.
Nadia pointed out that they tortured her and photographed her, and that she experienced torture at first, then rape several times, and stated that the cases of rape affected other women, and said that she witnessed the death of two people under torture.
Nadia, who managed to escape with great difficulty, and reached a safe place (outside Afrin), recounted the story of her arrest and repeated torture and torture of women and youths, the elderly and children. She said that the torture lasted even two children, one of whom was a 7-month-old baby, and the other a year and a half, who were kidnapped with their mothers. They are raped in front of their children, and she confirmed that she knew at least two people were killed under torture in the prisons of the Hamza Division.
The kidnapped women are discovered for the first time
Nadia says that their tragic situation lasted for six months inside the prison of the Hamzat Division in the Mahmoudiya neighborhood in Afrin city. There was chaos and the sound of gunfire and chants were heard. Civilians stormed the prison, some of the kidnapped were naked without clothes, and others were alone and they were raped, so they took them out in a hurry. And she says: “We ran away and got into one of the cars. We learned later that we were in the Military Police Department, and that fighting broke out between settlers, which led to angry demonstrators storming the prison in which we are being held belonging to the Hamzat Division. We knew that we are on 5/28/2020, and this is a day I will not forget.”
Nadia added that they stayed for only two days in a military police prison, for two days without torture and they were offered a little food and water, and added: “But they did not allow us to shower, which was a dream for us, I do not remember the last time I bathed.”
Nadia continues, recounting what happened with her after that: “After 48 hours, the military police handed us over again to the Hamza Division, the same previous faces, who took us to Mazen / al-Kabira village in Afrin countryside, and from there we were transferred to the Azaz area, and we were placed in a prison with somewhat better conditions. What, they took us for interrogation again, and they filmed us and filmed us repeatedly, they told us that we must save what is on paper and record it in front of the cameras, I read the text that included that I am a terrorist, an agent working for the PKK and the SDF, and that I lead a group She was planning to target the Turkish officers and Turkish soldiers, and that I was planning to carry out bombings in Turkey. We were hit again, and they gave us hours to memorize the content of the paper. I had no opportunity to refuse that, so I accepted under threat. The supervisor of the investigation and the information received was a person named (Saif Abu Bakr) Later, I learned that he is a close member of the Turkish intelligence, holds Turkish citizenship, and leads the Hamzah Division. In the presence of Abu Bakr, we were forced to sign and fingerprint papers in Arabic and Turkish after we filmed several videos containing confessions that we were terrorists. We want to know what to imprint or sign ”.
Nadia talked about how the gunmen, accompanied by Turkish-speaking people, photographed them several times, once naked, and once in clean clothes that they presented to them and then took, and in the videos they made them deny that they had been subjected to any torture and that prison life and conditions were luxurious, and forced them to thank Turkey, Erdogan, the national army and the security services and that they They protected and repaired them.
In another video, they made them admit to duress, beatings and torture that they were terrorists who were involved in or planned bombings and agents in favor of the (Syrian Democratic Forces) and the Kurdistan Workers Party. Unless we carry out their orders in front of the video, we thanked Erdogan and thanked them, after that we were transferred to a prison in the city of al-Bab, we stayed there for a month, we were transferred from al-Bab to Maaratah prison in Afrin, and every time we were re-interrogated and obliged to admit that we are guilty and terrorists, They treat us well, and our prison conditions are luxurious. ”
The trial
In Maaratah prison for the first time, the kidnapped women were referred to the court and the judiciary, and Nadia recalled those moments by saying: “In the beginning, the military judge, I do not remember his name, was in a hurry to finish the case, and he asked me, as they asked us in the prison to remain silent and not say anything, and wait for the judge. To speak and that in exchange for our silence we will be released, as part of an amnesty they will issue, but I did not care about anything. I spoke before the judge about torture, rape, harassment, beatings and prison conditions, and that we are innocent civilians. We were forced to make video statements under torture, and they kidnapped me while I was going to visit my detained husband, boycotted me. The judge asked to return me to prison and threatened me. Indeed, they sent me back to prison and they started beating me again the next day. They brought me into the courtroom and I was forced to sign papers whose contents were in Turkish and Arabic.
Nadia added that they were referred to another court, which appeared to be civilian this time, and this time Nadia decided not to remain silent despite their threat to kill her and spoke before the judge who identified himself as (Ahmed Saeed), and she told him how she was tortured and raped, and how the rest of the women were exposed to her in prison. And the rest of the detainees were tortured, and she said that she witnessed the killing of two people under torture, the first is his name (Bilal Abdo) and the second (Uncle Hassan, a father of three girls). She expected him to listen and be fair, but it turned out that he wanted to talk to her for fun, and she said that he was smiling and mocking her. He threatened her and asked her not to tell anyone about these stories to protect her honor and her family, so that she would not be killed, pursued and returned to the same circumstances.
Militia leaders forced Nadia to sign papers in Arabic and papers in Turkish without allowing her to read their content, and she was photographed again in prison and released with her being told to stay at home and not leave or speak to any media or write something on social networking sites.
Nadia said that her family agreed with a smuggler to pay $ 300 to get her out of Afrin, and she arrived to a safe place, but the fate of her husband is still unknown, and he was the one who was kidnapped a few days before her abduction.
Nadia Suleiman was released after spending 878 days in the prisons of the pro-Turkish militias, during which she moved through 9 prisons, in 4 cities under the control of the Turkish army, of which 90 days she spent in prisons under the direct supervision of the Turkish intelligence services.
Source: Human Rights Organization Afrin – Syria

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *